The 3-Day HL7 FHIR Overview Course
Gain practical experience and an overview of the HL7 FHIR standard. 50% of the course is spent on hands-on exercises.
Who should attend?
- Those involved with the design, development, implementation, deployment, and support of systems that use HL7 FHIR
Number of days
- 2 days, 8 hours a day (face-to-face training course), or
- 3 days, 5 hours a day (online training course)
What is it about?
This training course offers a hands-on overview of the HL7 FHIR standard. Around 50% of the course is spent on hands-on exercises.
When will it happen?
The dates for the in-company training courses are flexible and can be agreed depending on the availability of your team. The open training courses (whether online or face-to-face) have fixed dates.
What skills will I gain?
Upon completion of this training course, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the key principles underlying the FHIR methodology
- Explain the relationship between FHIR and related standards (e.g. HL7 CDA/HL7 v2/IHE XDS)
- Describe the characteristics and contents of the core FHIR information models
- Understand how to fully use the documentation, and how to reach out to other experts and implementers
- Explain how FHIR may be used in different interoperability paradigms (REST, messaging, e-documents, services)
- Build upon hands-on experience with FHIR gained during the training course
- Help your organization to determine if, when, where and how they might implement FHIR
Are there prerequisites?
The attendees are assumed to be familiar with:
- XML, Json and web-infrastructure protocols
- General principles of data modeling
- General software development principles like object orientation, databases, layered software design
Note: the topics of the agenda below will be presented over the course of 2 days (face-to-face training course) or 3 days (online training course). The agenda is subject to change. We have additional exercises beyond the ones that are shown below.
Agenda and modules of HL7 FHIR Overview course
- Introduction to HL7 and FHIR
- Round of introductions
- FHIR Basics
- Resources, data types, REST
- Demographics Data, a use case
- Exercise #1: Patient demographics
- REST: CRUD and Operations
- Exercise #2: CRUD / REST
- Conformance Layer
- Profiles, Implementation Guides
- Exercise #3: Bundles and Search
- Application Launch Framework v.1.0.0.
- OAuth2, Open ID Connect, scopes
- Basic resource
- Exercise #4: Extensions
- Architectures and Interoperability Paradigms
- REST, messaging, documents, services
- Clinical statements, a use case
- Complex Search
- Exercise #5: Search
- Questionnaires (optional)
- Exercise #6: Validation
- Workflow (optional)
- Lab order management, or Medications Management
- Exercise #7:Scheduling (optional)
- Group exercise #8: Resource graph
- FHIR in <your country> (optional)
- Example implementation guide from your country (optional)
- US: USCDI v1, US Core 3.1.1
- UK: CareConnect/INTEROPen, NHS Digital
- NL: NL Core, MedMij
- DE: Basisprofile, MIO/KBV, MII
- Overall summary
- Relationship with v2/CDA/IHE
Contact us for (online) in-company training
Contact René Spronk for more information on the FHIR training courses by Firely.