Number of Days
2 days, 09:00 to 16:30.
There are several options for training. If you would like an on-site training the dates and times can be adjusted to fit your needs.
There are also training options offered by HL7 affiliates on fixed dates throughout the year. For more information contact us at email@example.com.
Summary of course content
This training course offers a hands-on overview of the content of the HL7 FHIR standard.
Who Should Attend
This training course is aimed at those involved with the design, development, implementation, deployment and support of systems that use (or will use) the HL7 FHIR standard.
Goals of the training course
Upon completion of this training course, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the key principles underlying the FHIR methodology.
- Explain the relationship between FHIR and related standards (e.g. HL7 CDA/HL7 v2/IHE XDS).
- Describe the characteristics and contents of the core FHIR information models.
- Understand how to fully use the documentation, and how to reach out to other experts and implementers.
- Explain how FHIR may be used in different interoperability paradigms (REST, messaging, e-documents, services).
- Build upon hands-on experience with FHIR gained during the training course.
- Help their organization to determine if, when, where and how they might implement FHIR
The attendees are assumed to be familiar with:
- XML, Json and web-infrastructure protocols,
- Although not a requirement, knowledge of HL7 version 2 and/or HL7 version 3 will be helpful in understanding the material,
- General principles of data modeling,
- General software development principles like object orientation, databases, layered software design.
Note: the agenda is subject to change; there are additional exercises beyond those shown below.
Agenda, day 1
- Overview of FHIR
- Resources, extensions
- The RESTful design philosophy
- Exercise: Requesting a patient Resource
- Deconstructing FHIR data
- Datatypes and primitives
- Use-case driven example: Person demographics, with extensions
- Contents of the FHIR distribution
- More on REST, HTTP verbs, wire formats (XML/JSON)
- Exercise: Updating a patient resource
- Introduction to Profiling
- Resource Bundles, Searching
- The FHIR Operations Framework
- Parameter resource
- Updating metadata: Tags, Security Tags and implicitRules
- Exercise: Updating metadata on resources
Agenda, day 2
- Resource references
- Contained resources
- References in bundles|
- Exercise: Add a contained resource.
- Terminology Resources
- Paradigms revisited: Document, Messages, REST
- Profiling FHIR ◦Constraining resources to match your usecase
- Extensions and definitions of extensions
- Conformance Resources
- Exercise: modify profile, modify bundle and call profile validation
- Summary and recommendations ◦V2 messages, v3 CDA, IHE XDS and FHIR
We will provide each participant with handouts containing all materials covered in the training as well as other support materials.
Your instructor is available during lunch and after 16:30 for informal discussions about your specific area of interest or applications.